The Huntsville Master Chorale is a long-standing, dynamic performing chamber choir that fosters creativity by keeping excellent choral singing alive in North Alabama. THE HUNTSVILLE MASTER CHORALE nurtures renowned and emerging composers by commissioning and performing new works while continuing to perform a variety of classic choral literature. The Chorale keeps the art of singing fresh for our audiences.
As part of the 2019-2020 season, the Chorale is sponsoring a choral composition contest. The winning composition will be performed by the Chorale in the Spring concerts in 2020.
- The winning composition must be at a technical level that makes its performance possible by a volunteer adult choir of 30 voices.
- SATB with occasional divisi, moderate vocal ranges and harmonic language is required.
- Sopranos E4-G5; Altos E3-B4; Tenors C3-E4; Basses G2-C4
- Due to the intention of performing the winning work, these criteria will be very important in the judging process.
- The composer will choose the text either sacred or secular. It should be Public Domain or the composer’s own creation. The text should be accompanied by documentation clearly confirming that the composer has secured permission to set it to music and to present it in public performances. (Any costs related to securing said permission are solely the responsibility of the composer.)
- The text should relate to themes of MUSIC. English is preferred, but pieces that use other languages will be considered.
Accompaniment and Length:
- With piano and other instrument (s)
- Less that 10 minutes
Submissions must be received by January 31, 2020
- Composers must be residents of North Alabama or residents of the Tennessee Valley area
- Compositions need to be newly created for this competition; however, all submissions must not have been previously performed in public
- Electronic submissions (PDF) are strongly preferred, using the email address below. Scores submitted in hard copy will only be returned if they are accompanied by self-addressed, stamped envelope.
- Scores must be clear and ready for duplication and performance, using one of the standard music printing programs (Finale, Sibelius, etc.)
- A completed copy of the form below must accompany each submission. Please remove all identifying marks for submitted scores as the judging will be conducted anonymously.
- The names of all participants will be held in confidence. No more than two compositions will be accepted from a single composer.
A panel comprised of three guest judges and the Chorale’s Artistic Director will review all submissions and select the winning composition. This evaluation will take into account the quality of the piece and its suitability for a successful performance by the Chorale. The winning piece and composer will be announced at our Mosaic of Love concert February 22, 2020. The decision of the judging is final. Should the compositions submitted not meet the standards set forth, the Huntsville Master Chorale reserves the right to withhold the award.
Submit PDF scores to
Printed Scores may be mailed to:
Huntsville Master Chorale
Att. Choral Competition
P.O. Box 1774
Huntsville, AL 35807
By accepting the cash award, the Huntsville Master Chorale is granted performance and recording rights for the winning composition.