The Huntsville Master Chorale is a long-standing, dynamic performing chamber choir that fosters creativity by keeping excellent choral singing alive in North Alabama. The Huntsville Master Chorale nurtures renowned and emerging composers by commissioning and performing new works while continuing to perform a variety of classic choral literature. Above all, our overarching mission is to keep the art of singing fresh for our audiences!
Each year, The Huntsville Master Chorale sponsors a choral composition contest with a cash prize and the opportunity to have the winning work performed by The Chorale in concert.
Previous winners have included:
2020 - Three Songs of Spring by Timothy Smith
2019 - Ignition by Evelyn Pursley-Kopitzke
2018 - April by Andrew Marshall
Contest Theme for 2020-2021: UNITY AND PEACE
- The winning composition must be at a technical level that makes performance possible by a volunteer adult choir of 30 voices.
- Original compositions only (no arrangements of works by other composers).
- SATB (Sopranos C4-G5, Altos G3-D5, Tenors C3-F4, Basses G2-D4) Moderate divisi will be allowed.
- Moderate tessitura and harmonic language for all parts.
- Due to the intention of performing the winning work, these criteria will be very important in the judging process.
- The composer will choose the text, either sacred or secular, based on the theme UNITY AND PEACE.
- Text should be Public Domain or the composer’s own creation. The text should be accompanied by documentation clearly confirming that the composer has secured permission to set it to music and to present it in public performances. (Any costs related to securing said permission are solely the responsibility of the composer.)
- English is preferred, but pieces that use other languages will be considered.
Accompaniment and Length:
- A capella and/or accompaniment by piano, string quartet up to chamber orchestra, or solo instrument
- At least 3 minutes but not more than 10 minutes
DEADLINE EXTENDED - Submissions will now be received through January 31, 2021
- Compositions need not be newly created for this competition; however, all submissions must not have been previously adjudicated or performed in public. The Huntsville Master Chorale will make the world premiere performance of the winning entry.
- Electronic submissions (PDF) are strongly preferred, using the email address below. Scores submitted in hard copy will only be returned if they are accompanied by a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
- Scores must be clear and ready for duplication and performance, using one of the standard music printing programs (Finale, Sibelius, etc.)
- If composers submit their work written by hand, this should be clearly legible and neat.
- A completed copy of the form below must accompany each submission. Please remove all identifying marks for submitted scores as the judging will be conducted anonymously.
- Entries using copyrighted lyrics must include written permission to use the lyrics.
- No more than two compositions will be accepted from a single composer.
- The names of all participants will be held in confidence.
A panel comprised of three guest judges and the Chorale’s Artistic Director will review all submissions and select the winning composition. This evaluation will consider the quality of the piece and its suitability for a successful performance by The Chorale. The winning piece and composer will be announced by email and social media platforms on March 1, 2021. The decision of the judging is final. Should the compositions submitted not meet the standards set forth, the Huntsville Master Chorale reserves the right to withhold the award.
The Huntsville Master Chorale shall retain unlimited performance and mechanical rights to performances and recordings made by the Huntsville Master Chorale. The composer shall retain all other copy, performance, and mechanical rights to their works.
By accepting the cash award, the winner grants performance and recording rights to the Huntsville Master Chorale.
Submit printed scores by mail to:
Huntsville Master Chorale
Attn: HMC Choral Competition
P.O. Box 1774
Huntsville, AL 35807
Click Here for the Contest Submission Form
Further Questions? Contact us at
Dr. Patricia Ramirez Hacker, Artistic Director